Thursday, March 19, 2009

13 Months, 14 Hair Cuts

You know that old saying that kids grow like
weeds.  Well it is true, but Owen's case, his hair grows like a weed on steroids.  
He was born with 2 inches of the blackest hair I had ever seen.  At 6 weeks old, he had his first hair cut.  Tomorrow Owen will be 13 months old, and I just gave him his 14th hair cut.  Tom does not know that I did this.  

Tom is very picky about the way his hair is cut.  I once attempted to cut his hair, and I did not do it right, so he had to get his friend from school (for was a hair dresser before a chiropractic student) to fix it.  Ever since then he has not let me touch his hair, nor Owen's.  I am not so sure why he does not want me to cut Owen's, he just claims it is easier to have Milika cut both of theirs at the same time.

So tonight, as I as giving Owen 
his bath, I notices how long his hair was looking.  
It was so long that it was almost covering his eyes, and growing over the tops of his ears. I swear he had more hair than most 3 year old girls do.  So I thought it would be a good idea to give him a little trim while he was in the bath.  

Cutting a squirmy little kid's
hair is not so easy.   Have you ever made a scrapbook page, and just kept doing things to it, you never knew quite when to stop, and when it was all done you stepped back and looked at it as though "O man, I should have stopped when I was ahead?"  Well, that is exactly how it was cutting his hair.  I just kept cutting, and cutting, and cutting.  When I finally finished, I looked at him and thought, "Oh no, Tom is not going to be happy."  Look at this picture, you can see how crooked it is in the back (although, I must say the front looks good).
But after I got him dried off, and dressed, I got to get a good look at it, I don't think it looks so bad.  In fact, I wonder if Tom will even notice that I cut it.

8 comments:

Jessie said...

WOW! r u serious? 14 hair cuts! That is cute :) We have never cut Sophia hair since she was born, and our baby is bald! haha

Alyssa Phair said...

Hahaha! That's funny! Once it dried it looked fine. Good job! Boys hair is much harder to cut than girls. And it's ESPECIALLY hard to cut when they're squirmy!! After this, maybe Tom will let you cut HIS hair... maybe :)
-Alyssa

Linds said...

I did that with Olivia's hair about a month ago. I was FREAKING out. I thought I cut too much and she looked like a boy. Well, I thought she did at first. Then after a few days I got used to it. But I will NEVER cut her hair again. I'll let a professional do it. I cut Liza's cause it's easy and she sits still.

Joshua and Joy said...

That's funny! It's hard to cut the little one's hair. I cut all the boys hair. Josh makes me do it because he doesn't want to spend the money somewhere else. Versii is such a pain to handle. He screams, cries, and squirms the whole time. Even my mother-in-law does hair for a living and gave up 1/2 way through.

Rebecca said...

I'm so jealous for my baby girl's sake!

The Marley Family said...

I think you did a fine job. He looks so cute--and you're right, that boy has a lot of hair. At least you know if you don't like it, it wont be too long til he needs another cut. That's what I have to tell myself when Van moves during a hair cut and it gets a little wacky.

Charis said...

Kendell is 18 months and still no hair cut. However i have been tempted, just so I can say she has had one. . . and then I think, never mind.

Strong Family said...

Maybe it's a Strong thing. Tyler had about 2 inches dark black hair too. Don't know where it comes from. It must be in the Strong genes somewhere. I cut everyones hair. I bought a "buzzer" at Walmart with all the different clips. You can't go to wrong with that.