Sunday, March 18, 2012

Magically Delicious

Ok I know that this posts title is the same as Lucky Charms slogan, but I think of Lucky Charms as the unofficial cereal for St. Party's Day, and I officially made some stinking cute food for the green holiday.
Obviously, we had to have corn beef and cabbage, or in our case coleslaw, but my favorite was the more festive food.
For dinner I made shamrock rolls. I just made regular rolls, only I added some green food coloring when I added the water to the dough, then when I shaped the rolls I simply made three little dough balls (like when making flooded rolls, only put them on a sheet in stead of in a muffin tin) and then a put a little chunk of dough as a steam.
They turned out so stinking cute, and yummy!

I love dessert! I can never have enough, so I figured why not make two green desserts!

First one up: LIME BARS.
These scrumptious little bars are just like lemon bars, only better! I used a lemon bar recipe, only replaced the lemon juice and lemon zest with lime (and a bit of green food coloring). Oh boy, they were so good. Perfect amount of zesty yumminess. The recipe I used is here.

Second green dessert: LEPRECHAUN FLOATS
I was trying to think up some sort of festive drink to have with our St Patricks Day meal, but because I have very little creative juices, I had to refer to my good friend Pinterest. There were very few non-alcoholic drinks out there, but I did see an idea to make a "leprechaun float" out of 7-up and lime sherbet, which sounds like a plain old sherbet float, tasty, but nothing special. So, I decided to take the idea and jazz it up a bit. Instead of 7-up and sherbet, I used Ginger Ale and Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream (I figured mint and ale sound more St Patricks like). My mother-in-law was rather nervous about the combination, she said it sounded like something that only the kids would enjoy. But some how Tom convinced her to try it, and she LOVED IT! My floats were "surprisingly delicious," I would even say magically delicious, and it even had that St Patrick flavor I was looking for. Mmmmmm, yummy.

So there you have it, now you know how we celebrated the big Green Day. It was a lot of yummy fun, and I think I may have started some new traditions.

3 comments:

Jett Powered Foundation said...

How fun!! Looks yummy...especially those rolls. By the way, thanks for the phone call today. You made my day!

Susan said...

i love the idea of lime bars! looks so delicious :)

Charis said...

alright so your green floats were better than ours. . . we had lime sherbert and 7-up. . . but alas, I forgot to put away the lime sherbert afterwards, and the next morning woke up to very melty lime sherbert. . . the pregnant mind!!!ARGH!!! i think I would have been even more frustrated if I had left out mint chocolate chip ice cream though. . . mmm pure yumminess