We got chickens! Well ok, they are still chicks, but Tom finally caved and let me get some baby chicks. I have been trying to convince him for two years that we should get chickens when we get a yard, but he has always been less than excited about the notion. Then the other day we were walking into the hospital (don't worry, no one was sick) when we heard someone across the hall spurt out, "I got chickens! And I am building a coop, and I keep thinking, 'Rosie will be so proud!'"
It was my cute friend, and college roommate, Megan, who is a nurse at the hospital. It was then that Tom finally realized that I truly would love to have chickens. The next day, when he came home from work, he went out to the garage and started screwing boards together. I asked him what he was up to, and he said, "I am making a brooding box. We are going to get chickens."
I about did a back flip!
We got 6 birds: one Buff Orpington, (Buttercup), two Barred Plymouth Rock (Pepper and Ginger), and two White Leghorns (Sugar and Emily), and one Araucana (Sparky- she's going to lay green eggs!). One day I really want to get a Silky Bantum.
They have been a lot of fun so far. The boys think they are great, I have spent a ton of time learning how to raise chickens on BackYardChickens.com. And Tom and I are getting ready to build our little ladies a hen house (I will be posting about that when it happens)
Here are some pictures of my little chickies!




2 comments:
YEAH! That is so exciting! We want to get some chickens too!
Are you about finished making your awesome chicken coop? That is exciting! Way to go you guys!
Post a Comment