Monday, April 6, 2009

General Conference in ASL.

I love General Conference. I look forward to hearing the voice of the Prophet, and receiving council from our Church leaders every 6 months.  It is such a spiritual and emotional feast for me, I am truly grateful for it.  

One of my favorite talks this conference was by Elder Robert D Hales.  He talked about Provident Living.  He had a lot of great advice.  I loved it!  He reminded us to "be provident provider for ourselves and our families; to joyfully live with in our means; be content with what we have; avoid excessive debt; and diligently save for a rainy day."  What great advise we could all do better to listen too, especially during this economic crunch.

Something that was unique for our family this conference was that we got to watch it in American Sign Language.  The sister missionaries assigned to our ward are also the ASL missionaries.  One of the the sisters, Sis Barnard, is completely deaf.  So they asked if they could watch conference at our house, with the ASL translation.  

Here is an example of what it was like, only this is from a couple conferences ago: 


It was great having the sisters over.  I have been signing to Owen since he was born, and I  sometimes wonder if he is picking up on it.  But whenever Sis Barnard comes around, he actually signs to her.  It is amazing to see a 14 month old communicating with someone other than his parents!  It makes me so proud!

1 comment:

Matthew and Hailey said...

That is so neat that you have been signing with Owen. How did you learn to sign? How much signing do you do with Owen? We did it when Will was younger but I do not know very much and it was hard to keep up. It was very useful when he was younger and I really felt like it helped his language skills.