Four years ago I went out on a random date with a guy on Valentine's Day. I guarantee that I would not have believe it if someone had told me that four years from then I would be married to this same guy, had moved a cross the county, put him through a Doctorate Program, have had two kids, and have moved right back to where we started. But that is exactly what has happened.
Yes, Valentine's Day is the anniversary of Tom's and my first date (cheesy, I know). We have been together for just Four years; in a way it feels like just yesterday was our first date, but we have done some much in such little time, that it also feels like we have been together forever.
One of the things that has happened, is that my wedding ring was stollen. Last March we went swimming at a friend's condo. I put my ring in a bag, and when I came back it was gone. :-( We looked everywhere for it; we posted ads on Craig's List for it's return, we filed a police report. But sadly it never turned up. I was so sad when we left Portland, because I knew there would be no way we would ever recover it if we did not live in the state.
I have been so bummed about my ring, but my tricky husband always has something up his sleeve. On Valentines Day he made this big fancy dinner, set the table with our nice dishes, and candles (mind you the candle were in upside down paper cups with holes punched in them, because we don't own candle sticks). Having two kids at the table makes it hard to have a romantic candle lit dinner, but it was Romanic and Charming.
As we are eating dinner Tom says "Know what would make this perfect....? If I had your ring."
Next thing I know he is down one one knee, and pulls a ring out from (he had taped it the bottom of the table just like when he had proposed).
HE HAD MY RING REMADE!!!! How thoughtful is he??? What a sweet heart I am married to.
Here is my new ring:
And here is a picture of the original:

I think he did a pretty good job.
So what did I give Tom? Well, every year I do 14 days of Valentines for Tom. This year, I did candy bars (ie. "I am never going to let you slip through my Butterfingers," or "Orange you glad we are married?" Some how I think He won for best gift given this year.
10 comments:
Your ring is so beautiful! I didn't know it had been stolen :( What a wonderful Valentine's surprise. I'm glad to hear you guys are doing well. We miss you.
Way to go Tom -- what a great husband!
That is SO thoughtful! What a beautiful ring!
Yay, I'm glad that he got one for you! It's beautiful! And I can't believe that you got pulled over...again. Man, they just have it out for you or something.
yeah for you! you have your ring back! I would be so sad if I lost mine. And yes, I have the red dress, I requested it, and searched for it, because I have very strong memories of walking to church at the old emerson ward in it. in fact my memory is walking past the plac that talks about the pioneers. I was so proud of it because it had a heart in the back. The funny thing is, that I can remember such things, and that I had such feelings about a dress, when I was two. And I think it was thoughtful of you to get tom something everyday for fourteen days, that takes a lot of thought. Go you!
Love the ring! Our rings are quite similar but different in our own unique way. Obviously made by the same guy! ;) It doesn't seem like it was 4 years ago when I ran into you and your date at the skating rink. Go figure! Love you lots girl and I hope everything is settled and good to go! I will come visit you soon!
I love it!
I think that's the best Valentine story (and possibly, the best husband brag story) I've ever heard!
What an amazing gift! It would break my heart to lose my ring but to have it replaced like that is so sweet. Great job Tom! (Fullmers are awesome!)
That is the sweetest story I ever did hear/read! Awww! Way to go Tom! I'm so happy for you!
Clinton lost his ring on our 2nd anniversary at a country car wash. He waded through 2 feet of cow poo trying to feel for his ring. He couldn't find it either, and he didn't really care for a replacement. I insisted, of course, and got him a sterling silver ring at the grand opening of Kohls for $8. It's been on his finger ever since. Anyway, I loved your story and I'm glad you got your ring "back".
Post a Comment